![]() |
| << previous page | Contents | next page >> |
o you still remember how weused to read together? --
when I was in you,
I was in the very word of you,
I was not the reflection
in your eyes, but in its very pupil
that read the very word of me, too;
and are we still what love
had written of us? --
though how could we have known
what we were creating
from this dark armchair
of an uncertain mind;
to which the heart
could give no certainty;
a fool to be frightened
of a reader that read
so closely, as we spoke
the Word that made us be;
and changed the smallest of things
from daily living into
the most newest things to do;
like eating, or talking --
and how I told you reading
was like walking
on freedom road;
such things
increasing in the sharing;
but now, what is eating?
what is reading when
I'm grieving for you.
-- and from this dark armchair
I look out the window,
to swarms of golden leaves
at the edge of a forest
where the Sun dips low;
-- but I'm outdone by the irony;
back on freedom road alone,
and I have nowhere to go;
the Book is shut,
the Word even more so;
the naked letters now shaded
from my ink and my pen,
I write no more, and
my reading is done:
but wait from my dark armchair,
for the light of the Sun;
for birdsong to traverse
over flora and sea,
to come back to the verse
of freedom road
and to sing to me.
Published 3 January, 2011
Freedom Road >>
The Secret Stead is the pen name of a UK-based writer and