![]() |
| << previous page | Contents | next page >> |
You asked me how long,
to the exact second,
I would love you;
but who has the foresight
to accurately know
the history of stars, born to burn out
their light in the night;
or to soothsay signs that divine
whether love will become
a bond that promises
to pay the bearer anything?
Still I considered your question:
Should I have begun
with a smile, or a lie?
Should I have used the cliché
until the end of time?
But all I said with much deliberation,
was that I only knew what love taught;
![]() |
that it could be as brief
as a touch, or else etch itself
into the very grooves of your skin
like your fingerprint imprinting.
And this is what I know of you:
as long as your love lasts, then I do;
the soft feel of you makes me
more human than breathing:
and you charge the battery of my skin
with your electric wiring;
you're more than a touch to me;
and your identity is more
than a groove of indentation
inviting me to share
the very print of you.
Published 27 May, 2026
Love Psyche >>
The Secret Stead is the pen name of a UK-based writer and
